Free MKV Player for Windows 8: Easily Play MKV Files
MKV (a.k.a. Matroska) is an open standard free container format which can stores multiple streams (video, audio and subtitles) in a single file. Though MKV enjoys increasing support from many hardware and software developers, its current playback is still a headache for many users. In this article, I'll introduce 3 free and accessiable solutions to help you play MKV files in Windows (Windows 8 included).
Solution 1: Versatile free MKV player for Windows 8 (recommended)
Wondershare Free Video Player (Windows 8/7/XP supported) is a fast and clean media player that plays most files with no codec packs needed, including codec MKV windows 8. It has very impressive interface, so you can do less, enjoy more.
Key features of Wondershare Free Video Player:
- Snapshot: Take snapshot of your favorite part when playing MKV files.
- Deinterlacing to let you enjoy in crisp detail, brilliant color for HD files
- Load plug-in subtitles in SRT, ASS, SSA format and customize its position, size, font.
- Automatically create a playlist in thumbnail or list mode for convenient playback
- Resume playback, adjust speed, select audio track, mini mode, and more
- Smartly turn down computer after playback
Free Download MKV Player for Windows 8:
Solution 2: Play MKV in Windows 8 with Windows Media Player
To play MKV files, your favorite Windows Media Player will essentially need to have the required media codec. K-Lite Codec is a free and codec pack that enable you to play 99% of your video formats flawlessly. The K-Lite Codec pack can be used with Windows XP and Windows Vista as well.
Tips: There are three versions of the K-Lite Codec Pack: Basic, Standard and Full. The standard version contains everything you need to play all the commonly used formats and should be enough for the average user.
Solution 3: Powerful MKV player for Windows 8: VLC
VLC media player for Windows: It's An open-source, highly-portable free media player. available for all of us! With it, you can play not only MKV files, but also a vast range of videos, including MP4, 3GP, ASF, etc. and especially for stream video downloaded from internet. Even you can play the MKV movie when it's still on the downloading.
Tips: If you get used to player that already installed on your computer, you’re suggested to convert your MKV files to its supported formats in Windows 8. Here, Free Video Converter is directly introduced to achieve the above conversion with lossless quality and high compatibility. For more details, please refer to this tutorial: how to convert MKV to MP4 free and easily.
Download Free Video Converter:
- > Free MOV Player for Windows 8: Easily Play MOV Files
- > How to Convert MKV to MPEG Free and Easily
- > How to Convert MKV to WMV Free and Easily